Filing 2018 Trader Taxes

Published: January 29, 2019
Tagged: 2018 Taxes, Wash Sales, Trader Taxes, 1099-B

2019 tax calendar

It’s tax time again.

Here’s what you’ll need to prepare accurate trader tax reporting for 2018, and then get it filed on time in 2019!

Preparing Accurate Trader Tax Reporting

Taxes are always a bit more challenging for active traders and investors. To do it right you need:

Click here to learn more about why active traders use TradeLog Software.

Important Dates for 2018 Tax Filing

January 28, 2019 IRS begins accepting and processing 2018 returns
February 15, 2019 Brokers to furnish 1099-B statements (unless they receive an extension from the IRS)

2018 Tax Year Filing Deadlines:

March 15, 2019 Partnerships (Form 1065) and S Corps. (Form 1120S): File 2018 returns, or for an extension
April 15, 2019 Individuals (Form 1040), Estates & Trusts (Form 1041), and Corporations (Form 1120): File 2018 returns, or for an extension

Extension Return Due Dates:

September 15, 2019 Partnerships (Form 1065) and S Corps. (Form 1120S)
September 30, 2019 Estates & Trusts (Form 1041)
October 15, 2019 Individuals (Form 1040) and Corporations (Form 1120)

Refund Timing:

The IRS expects to issue 90% of refunds in less than 21 days. However, there are certain situations that may require you to wait longer for your refund. Learn more at irs.gov.

Need help?

The TradeLog Support Team is ready to help you use TradeLog for your trader taxes. Check out our Support Center to review our guides and documentation, or to request support.

If you need professional help, such as a TradeLog Service Provider, contact them now, not later, to schedule your needs - before they get booked up.

TIP: Many active traders elect to file an extension for more time. Why might this be wise? Trader taxes are some of the most complex reports. Brokers sometimes make 1099-B amendments. And if more comprehensive TradeLog support is needed it's easier to get after the April tax deadline. Some CPAs and tax professionals even give a discount if you file an extension! Of course, you'll need to estimate your taxes for your extension filing. You can use TradeLog for estimating by running draft reporting. Talk with your tax professional about your situation and options for filing an extension.

See why thousands of active traders use TradeLog each year for accurate trader tax reporting.

Please note: This information is provided only as a general guide and is not to be taken as official IRS instructions. Cogenta Computing, Inc. does not make investment recommendations nor provide financial, tax or legal advice. You are solely responsible for your investment and tax reporting decisions. Please consult your tax advisor or accountant to discuss your specific situation.